True Story

"There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them" Vicki Baum

Saturday 27 October 2012

We're going on a Man Hunt....

...... we're going to catch a big one.
We're not scared. 
What a beautiful Day. 

Oops! Sorry that's 'we're going on a bear hunt' which is definitely not what we were doing at Dance Station on Thursday night. 

Nope instead we went on a man hunt. A hunt which entailed revisiting old-school jazz combinations,  that I've personally not done since I had to wear a lycra purple catsuit and white shoes to class about 13 years ago (the fact that I'd probably still wear this is besides the point), and giving them a waack-over by adding in a bit more attitude and a FIERCE FACE. 

It's amazing how just by adding these elements, jazz drags and pencil turns go from being moves I used to put into super-cool S-Club 7 routines, to moves I'd actually contemplate dropping in a freestyle. This is what's so great about waacking, you really can draw on all sorts of background knowledge you have (dance knowledge that is, I'm not convinced the extensive amount of memorised data on past volcanic eruptions and the effects these had on global climate I have floating around in my head would be much use!). 

So if you want a use for those moves you spent hours copying off music videos (those that are PG-13 anyway) and perfecting in the mirror, then we'll see you in class soon. If, however, all this post does is remind you to watch Flashdance again then I'm cool with that as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment