True Story

"There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them" Vicki Baum

Friday 8 February 2013

A fine line

It's no secret that us Dancer-Stationers are hard-core Raggatonians.

It's also no secret that I'm a different type of onian and have a love-hate relationship with Raggatone. 

The last couple of weeks it has been really balancing hard on that line due to the amount of isolating ability needed to do this combo with any form of competency. 

Watching those who paid attention in nursery when singing heads-shoulders-knees-and-toes and consequently know where all the individual parts of their musculoskeletal system are located, I came to the conclusion that it was one of my favourite combinations - @katymillslondon in particular was killing it - only helped in part by the fact that it was set to one of my favourite songs: 'If it's loving that you want' by Rihanna. 

However, others of us spent too much time trying to stay inside the lines in nursery and never really learned those other things. For those of us in this second camp, the reflection was not quite so flattering. 

Indeed, my pelvis is beginning to develop a persecution complex....only problem being, persecution complexes are generally completely unfounded in reality, and the reprimands that my pelvis gets from @MlleGinger etc. are, unfortunately, not exactly unfounded. Instead you may as well start calling me number 5 - the robot from the classic 'short circuit,' which comes to life after being hit by lightening- as this really is the only explanation i.e. I cannot locate my muscles or my skeleton as I in fact have neither - only electrical circuits that have gone wrong .... really, really, REALLY wrong - so wrong that the newest member's constant proclamations of 'Whaaaat?!?!?" were extremely appropriate.

The thing is that I can't stay mad at Raggatone forever, because the therapy I have received courtesy of RARC has helped me realise that  Rihanna really is very wise, and when she sings (and I sing along with her to distract from the fact that I look like a fish that's just become entangled in the tentacles of a Portuguese Man O' War) "I'll be your friend, I can be your homey" it is a highly accurate description of Dance Station. 

This is because, in a recent interview I was asked to convince a group of complete non-dancers to go take class at the weekend in 30 seconds.  I waffled on about it being fun, good for confidence and fitness....all of which is 100% true of course .... but what I should have said was: for friendship. There's no way I would willingly spend an hour every week making myself look WAY more awkward than enticing (and admittedly quietly loving it),  if it wasn't for the other people in the room.  

So whilst it may be that we are the supposed 'lost generation' as the media likes to call us, or it may be that we're not lost at all - we're simply in different spaces than we were before, having to fight a bit harder, but very much still here because we have each other to rely on.

So come to class, get yourself in shape so your legs will hold you up better, whilst at the same time finding some people who will catch you when the Reese's temptation becomes just a bit too much and you just have to give in! 

(P.S. how FIERCE is this video!?!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment